4 Weeks Prior to Move
- Reserve a moving company for your move.
- Create an inventory list with relocation specialist of items that you will be taking.
- Create a prioritized “TO Do” list
- Start cleaning out your closets, garage and attic.
- Have a garage sale or donate unneeded items, extra cubic footage will increase your moving cost.
- Begin obtaining packing supplies.
- Get a “Change of Address” form from your local post office.
- Arrange to transfer school records.
- Obtain medical records for each member of the household, including veterinary records.
- Start planning your travel arrangements.
2 Weeks Prior to Move
- Contact your relocation specialist to discuss storage options if needed.
- Begin packing or making arrangements for packers.
- Start labeling your boxes as you pack. Indicate which room each box belongs in on the top and side and mark required boxes ‘Fragile” for the crew.
- Schedule disconnection with your gas, electric, water, internet and phone companies. Ask about refunds.
- Schedule connection for your new residence.
- Cancel pest control, cleaning service, landscaping maintenance and all other services you receive.
- Update magazines, credit/charge cards, insurance companies and all other organizations of your address change.
- Start utilizing food stored in the freezer and pantry.
- Contact your doctors and pharmacy for all medication refills.
- Make sure to set aside items which you will be bring with you also for last minute cleaning.
- Book travel arrangements.
Week of the Move
- Contact your relocation specialist to update your inventory list.
- Confirm your pick up date and time for your household goods.
- Get your laundry done.
- Mail in your “Change of Address” form.
- Make sure you packed and labeled everything you planned on packing yourself and ready for the packers to do the rest.
- Go over your priority list ensuring you didn’t forget anything.
The Day Prior to Move
- Clean the refrigerator.
- Get enough cash till you reach your new location.
- Have all travel reservation information together.
- Make sure everything you need for your trip is packed and ready for you.
- Say goodbye to your neighbors.
The Day of Pick up
- Make sure all valuables are safe and secure.
- Having payment arrangements ready prior to movers arrival.
- Be on call for the movers.
- Once the movers arrive make sure to oversee the loading process.
- Go over inventory items with the driver ensuring nothing is forgotten.
- Exchange phone numbers with the driver and let the movers handle the rest.